One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Friday, February 11, 2005

Media contrasts and coincidences: Jan to Feb

Okay, I'm wading into lots of muck, here, and may offend or distance people further. I should probably get off my media and social representation kick - but this one's been percolating for awhile.


Timing of Media Releases

As said, I'm becoming a reluctant media-watcher. Recently, I noticed the political gaffe by Governor General Adrienne Clarkson made the cover of The Toronto Sun ('Yo Adrienne! Where have you been?' January 19, 2004, I think?) on the same day Prime Minister Paul Martin announced trade deals with China, and was in Asia to visit the Tsunami survivors. What timing.

Frankly, I never paid the Governor General much attention before: read one speech, and saw Clarkson once on TV many years ago, but little else. I had no idea of the negative sentiments floating around, and could probably care less, if not for my crappy situation. [1]

I saw an interesting and damning critique of the Governor General's vacation in France, the unplanned visit with the Queen, and the whole 'cover-up,' but can't find it (searching...). Yet, besides the obvious blunders, lack of accountability, shirking of duties, attitudes, etc - something about this incident doesn't seem quite right (more below).


Media and Democracy

Days before the Governor General's embarrassing mis-step got full media attention, Prince Harry's costume party incident hit the press.[2] Strange that the Prince would test social propriety and royal protocols to such an extreme (missing link).[3]

Numerous magazines articles, TV documentaries, and movies about the late Princess Diana also seemed to be popping up, during the past month or so. I wondered why the sudden surge.[4] Then, yesterday, Prince Charles and Camilla Bowles announced their marriage engagement. Most people believe media planning and distribution is arbitrary: it's not.

I happened to see 'Studio 2' on TVO last night. Host Paula Todd, Rudyard Griffiths of the Dominion Institute, and Globe & Mail columnist Heather Mallick discussed the upcoming royal marriage.

Mallick seemed deliberately inflamatory, offending not only Monarchists, but anyone with a British background or sensibility. She also suggested Princess Di's tragic death is both unforgettable and unforgivable. Three times, she expressed a strong wish that Prince Charles and Camilla Bowles should not come to Canada. Strange. At the very end of the show, the controversial columnist referred to the royal family as, 'the Battenbergs.'

Besides making herself unpopular during the interview, Mallick calling the royal family by Prince Phillip's mother's maiden name before anti-German sentiment arose in the early 1900s makes no sense. Since Queen Elizabeth II is official Head of State, she and their four children (Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward) carry the name House of Windsor - not Prince Philip's anglicized surname of Mountbatten, or his mother's former name. This bizarre reference seems to imply a symbolic reunion between Britain and Germany, perhaps explaining Prince Harry's strange choice of costume.[5]

Does this newspaper columnist know something, we don't?

Interestingly, Queen Elizabeth II's family is German, yet they rule Britain. Prince Philip is of Danish ancestry, yet his grandfather was King of Greece, and his father was Prince. Most royalty in Europe are interrelated.

I believe Prince Philip's connection to Greece, and the fact that he's the man of the family, is why Mallick made that reference. In the past few years, I've often emphasized the importance of Greek culture, as being the founding roots of western civilization. Yet, in Canada, people of Greek background have been on the margins, as a pretty close-knit ethnic group - and they're not quite perceived as European, but more Mediterranean. As often happens, there's a *disconnect* between historical ideology and contemporary reality.

I believe cultures go through cycles - high and low periods of flowering or regression. My surveillers paid close attention to these ideas, and my various critiques.

For western civilization to renew and fortify itself, several things need to happen. One is to embrace modern-day Greece and its descendants. So, you may notice a gradual enhancement of how Greek people, community, and culture are positioned in the media, plus an increased profile through advertising and sponsorships. One possible example of what I mean is My Big Fat Greek Wedding coming in second in the 'Ten Most Romantic Movies of All Time' list.

I'm glad for Greek-Canadians. As George Stroumboulopoulos of CBC's 'The Hour' recently said, while receiving 'The Greatest Canadian' award for medicare founder, Tommy Douglas: 'He's finally getting the recognition he deserves.' So, too, for Greece.[6]


Digging Deep

For several years now, I’ve been the ‘Bad One’ in many different social situations. Unstable and disoriented, I probably wasn’t getting the emotional support I needed. Intelligence agencies learned a lot from this.

Based on these experiences, I can’t help but notice how strong media focus on Governor General Adrienne Clarkson's obfuscations around her France trip is contrasted by Prime Minister Paul Martin speaking of 'integrity and character,' and also ‘vision,’ being needed to lead this nation (is this a first??), during the public inquiry into the Liberals' sponsorship scandal.[7] Ottawa Citizen columnist Susan Riley was highly impressed, saying: 'It was like a model parliamentary lecture on public administration' (not an exact quote). Yet, then-Finance Minister Martin claims he didn't know how contracts were awarded, and to whom, so he had no knowledge about the $250 million in sponsorships.

So Clarkson gets to be the sneaky, materialistic shopper abroad, while being derelict in her duties at home. While Martin is seen as the humanitarian abroad, and the virtuous, honorable man at home - even in the face of major financial scandals about the Liberal Party, which allegedly took place while he was Finance Minister (FlyOurFlag.ca).

Sudden media attempts to reach the Governor General, plus her office's deliberately vague responses are a little odd. The Prime Minister apparently asked the Clarkson to be on standby for Ukraine's inauguration, while he's away (see 'Cloning not possible'). Interestingly, this ego boost ends up making Clarkson look like a callous, secretive fool for her no-show at much-loved Lieutenant-Governor Lois Hole's memorial.

During the inquiry into the Liberals’ communications spending, PM Martin also actively took the high ground, while others made not-so-subtle jabs at former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, which seemed to call attention to the latter's background as a French-speaking Quebecker from a small town.[8]

Notably, Clarkson was appointed Governor General by Chretien in 1999.[9] Found this CBC summary about the Governor General; it gives pretty a good idea of how 'liberal' the Liberals have been with pay raises.

So here's what I find interesting:

1) I commented in this post that Chretien at least stood his ground with the U.S. government.[9]

2) Since last year, I've been suggesting media will subtly heighten social antagonisms and polarities around ethnicity.


To be clear, I'm not saying it’s all PM Martin's doing. Personally, I think all this goes higher than even the Prime Minister.

Politics is nasty, yes. Yet certain strategies and stances showing up in current media and Canadian politics closely parallel things I've either talked about, or personally experienced, as a widely-travelled, queer, Canadian woman of colour. I can often *predict* what angles or topics will be emphasized, and how things will develop. I've been pretty right, so far. For example, I had been saying for awhile that health care would become a key focus for both the Conservatives and the Liberals (more info to come).

Unusual 'push-pull' dynamics - like those explored in S&M play - are appearing in news events, TV programs, political strategies, and international developments, particularly around race or ethnicity.[10][11]

That's fine. But I suspect the government has been studying my neuroticness, and imitating my bold style, while also benefitting from my low credibility, anger, and emotional reactiveness. I also believe certain media strategies and various topics are being developed and explored, as a result of intelligence agencies' illegal surveillance of ordinary citizens, both in public and private spaces.

I don't expect people to believe me today - but if you could kindly take note of my nutball ideas, that'd be great.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Footnotes:

[1] See Feb. 13 post.

[2] Having open feedback on news articles is a great idea. Among the responses, this sentence caught my attention: 'Of course, I'm sure he [Prince Harry] didn't expect an odious Sun photographer at a private party [...]'. Personally, I think it's pretty convenient timing for the photographer to be there.

[3] 'The Monarchy in Britain - A Brief Guide.'

[4] Princess Diana's passing was a sad and a tragic loss. Like filmmaker Michael Moore, here was someone who used her immense influence to create positive change. Some still have doubts about her death, given how many established powers felt threatened by her charitable campaigns (AIDS, land mines, etc), as well as her massive popularity with both the public and the media.

[5] The movie National Treasure makes more and more sense, as international events unfold.

[6] I find the interrelatedness between different people and cultures affirming. For example, in my conversations with 'Jack,' I had mentioned that anglo-saxons are a merging of both anglos (English) and saxons (Germans). Europe has many inter-ethnic ties, even within the British monarchy.

[7] Based on my experiences of surveillance and harassment, and what I believe has been close observation of my and others' social experiences, I believe Canadian and U.S. media will increasingly pump out 'good vs. bad' dichotomies around race.

[8] Funny how former PM Jean Chretien is behaving almost like a satire of his former self lately. People's negative recollections of him are bound to be stirred up, making current PM Martin look all the more saintly.

[Edit: This same media bashing technique has now made Stephen Harper of the Conservative party look like a man of integrity, while Paul Martin was quickly flushed down the drain. Wish I had the Time Magazine's cover from May 16, 2005 to post here. On it, Harper and the three other major party leaders (Martin - Liberals, Jack Layton - NDP, Gilles Duceppe - Bloc Quebecois) are caricaturized in a poker showdown, with Harper clearly depicted as the strong leader. I predicted the rise of the newly allied Conservatives as far back as the June 2004 election. Martin also backpedalled on military ties with the U.S., when faced with public outcry. But now, we've voted in Harper and the Conservatives. How easily people are led. 02/28/06]

[9] Many important or successful Canadians are immigrants, or are born of immigrant parents. Some recent examples I've come across are Maclean's influential editor, columnist, and political pundit, Peter C. Newman, and popular decorator/publisher Lynda Reeves (good article from Toronto Life). (Nice review on Newman; his books.) More thoughts on culture and identity to come.

[10] In my desperate search for community, and to find interesting folks, I once attended attended a BDSM meeting. I've never done S&M, and haven't had much desire to. Yet being far too antagonistic at other community gatherings, I thought I'd explore a different milieu.*

[11] Closing comments in 'Diana would be proud,' never mind the outrageous headline, are very strange. Besides the 'grovelling' part, Prince Charles displacing responsibility for 20-year old Prince Harry's actions onto Prince William, 22, is like something out of Everybody Loves Raymond. By some strange coincidence, this also parallels stuff from my own situation, including observations I've made about sibling relations, parental expectations, and social positioning.

*Note: My air of sexual permissiveness is more intellectual than actual. I'm simply open-minded, curious, and frank about sex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home