One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Politics, power, prayer

Today's spout: Canada's major political parties.

But first, my take on the symbiosis between Canada and the U.S.: I fear that people who loyally and fondly support the U.S may not realize what that country is actually doing, how they're doing it, and what this means for Canada.[1]

I don't wish to denigrate the U.S., or its many fine achievements. I'm very much in support of their founding values and principles of freedom, democracy, equality, and justice. Yet I'm concerned about what's going on. For example, consultation with an informed voting public is clearly not what the U.S. is striving for, when polls are being rigged, among other things (see 'Questions about U.S. election' and other posts).

Do you wish the same for Canada? We're already heading that way, yet it will be worse, if our evolution into a 51st American state goes completely unquestioned.

This is not about being blindly anti-American - it's about being fully and realistically committed to Canada and all it stands for, what we are capable of, and so on.

Having choices is important. Do we want to be economically dependent, politically puppeted, and militarily co-opted?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Am I a Closet Conservative?

To prove I'm not anti-conservative, here's a post by The Conservative Hipster that I totally agree with: 'Politics as usual: The G-G is G-Greedy.'

I can imagine how the Conservative party will be using my and others' negative responses to the Liberals to win over voters. Not that I'm against the Conservatives, per se, or any other party. I simply don't trust the dominant mindset, intolerance, and the means used to achieve what I see as 'personal or corporate pocket-filling,' rather than strong nation-building, solid infrastructure, socio-economic-environmental well-being, and general prosperity.

Case in point: the Conservative party often complains about tightening up immigration. They've had various opportunities to do so; yet, once in power, they focus on privatization, benefitting corporations, fostering free trade, cutting back programs and education funding, and so on. This increases chaos, polarizations, and socio-environmental degradation.

Fiscal responsibility, you say? By all means, but why not ensure the resulting benefits are adequately channelled back into society, since wealth is usually produced off the backs of many. Corporations and business people need to be accountable - socially and environmentally. If you think economic resources are being squandered, then show people how to do it differently: educate them.[2]

About the Liberals, what can I say? Here's a party full of hubris, with an incredible sense of entitlement, as described in the post above. Being someone who generally looks beyond the surface of things (part of my frustration in writing this blog lies in getting past stereotypes), my analysis of people in public service would include thinking about a political party's culture, how individual members conduct themselves, and bearing in mind that those who lead the party shape the overall work ethic. Unfortunately, over time, problems get very entrenched.

The Liberals are in serious need of revitalization. Through my surveillance, I've become increasingly exposed to governance issues, and have come into contact with other people involved with these activities and concerns. I also worked at annual dinners for both the Liberal and the Conservative provincial parties. What I see is lots of power and privilege, but no action.

Am I being harsh? The Liberals have been in power since October 1993. As 'Red Tories,' they really aren't much different from the Conservatives. They merely present themselves as moderates, yet they do what most politicians do: pass the buck, look good, serve personal interests.[3]

I know: we're all politicians, in one way or another. Even animals, plants, amphibians, and sea creatures negotiate power relations and survival. Yet those in office are voted in, and are usually paid to serve the public. I've said before, government is an organization, like any other (funny how this exact sentiment showed up on a listserv recently, discussing mobilization for the York free speech protest). Ensuring accountability requires public participation.

NDP and Greens: Ideologically, this is where I'm at. Yet I've seen enough of the world to realize that much work is needed here. I'll comment on these two parties later.

Through my various struggles within organizations, institutions, groups, and so on, I became interested in organizational learning and circles.[4] These approaches do work.[5]

Many of us want a healthy, safe, prosperous, ecologically-sound place to live.[6] Yet, we all need to work together to create a great country.


Undoing the Good

I believe ultra-conservative elites have been successfully co-opting some of the most critical, intelligent, committed, and aware activists I know of. I say this based on my many experiences, struggles, and being psychologically profiled and harrassed. Since much of 'the work' being carried out by moles is in progressive areas and organizations, I suspect converting real activists hasn't been all that hard. My Angry Terror Ways versus the government's powerful influence and many soothing enablers makes for an easy choice. Lord Conrad Black reveres former U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt for, among other things, FDR's skill in 'co-opting the left.'[7] It's simply a matter of spinning propaganda - or, as they used to say in the 60s: creating mind f**ks.

Perhaps these wonderful activists, whom I once trusted for their honesty and political commitment, have a false sense of reassurance?

Here's how it works: they continue to do what they love and believe in, they work with other seemingly like-minded folks, they probably receive some sort of benefits or gain connections - be it monetary or otherwise, they get the 'inside scoop' and 'protection,' and may even feel like they're working towards some just cause (national security, social and political stability, etc). Well, ha-ha: 1) you're being lied to; and 2) these same benefactors also control and carry out the nasty stuff you're working to overcome (hello, 911, AIDS, SARS, environmental disasters).

I keep hoping these once-inspiring activists will realize it's too good to be true. Yet, somehow, co-operating with fascist elements isn't a problem for them. My question to them is: Don't you see that Big Brother is the controller, and you're giving over your power to them and feeding a corrupt system?

Yes, it's a complicated world we live in. Yet, there are processes to help keep things more honest, while creating positive, empowering results. Otherwise, we can only blame ourselves for this Shark Tale-type reality we're heading towards. (Please, see the movie.)

--------------------

[1] Interesting perspective on political renewal in America. I can't argue with it, yet I can't embrace it, either. As we head towards deep integration with the U.S., religious views will surely be shaping the politics.

Note: I'm not anti-religious. My mother's family was raised Catholic, plus many of their good friends are, or were, priests, nuns, an archdeacon, etc. I myself do not follow a particular religion, yet I do respect the common wisdom in all major faiths. The point is, state and religion should be separate.

[2] Sounds like I know what I'm talking about, yet I include myself in the category of people who needs to learn basic accounting and financial savvy. Having bounced cheques and overdrawn my account regularly since 1999, me and administrative details do not go together.

[3] Getting deeper into this cat-and-mouse game of surveilance and harassment, I now see how pathological and twisted some ultra-conservative elites can be. Their 'control' of society is far more insidious than people realize. I was naive and idealistic.

[4] I do tend to use the word, 'conservative,' to negatively describe people who seek power, wealth, status - often by unethical means - or to label people who may be socially intolerant. Conservative can be a positive, as well. If you can suggest a different word, please comment. Thanks.

[5] Some excellent articles on organizational change and innovative leadership, below. Unfortunately, ultra-conservative elites have taken my interests and insights to heart, and are building a more powerful, yet marketable, fascist regime than you or I could possibly imagine.

- 'Managing in a World That is Round' by Frances Hesselbein.

- 'Journey to Transformation' by Frances Hesselbein.

- 'The Invisible Side of Leadership' by James E. Austin.


[6] I talk as if I haven't gone through two major depressions (PTS, agoraphobia, anxiety, and so on). I'm not only interested in circles for organizational change, but I also seek circles of healing, community, and prayer. (Note: My surveillers have tried to put every label on me to justify their activities. Cult member or believer is probably one of them.)

[7] Robert Mason Lee's 'A toast to Lord Black' is superbly written, and an excellent read (Toronto Life, July 2004 issue - print only).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home