One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Monday, May 23, 2005

Mass media equals massive concerns

If anyone's still reading this weblog, thank you for sticking with it. I'm downright weary from all this constant proving, and things aren't great right now. I'm also at a major crossroads, and I can barely think straight.

On a personal level, I have to deal with all-encompassing surveillance and harassment - while trying to take notes, get organized, compensate for my ADD, find and keep a job, acquire digital tools, deal with debts, stay healthy, and so on. The incidents I've mentioned on here hardly convey how insidious the surveillance actually is. Trust me, you'd be utterly shocked, if you knew.


Weblog Challenges

In writing this weblog, I also have various challenges to contend with:

  1. 1. Occasional problems accessing internet through my provider;

  2. 2. Repeated difficulties using specific websites (Blogger.com, Yahoo.com) - both at my place and at my mother's;

  3. 3. Weblog not appearing properly in certain browsers (eg, Internet Explorer);

  4. 4. Tampering of this weblog (I just glanced through several past posts and found typos and grammatical errors that I'm sure I didn't make - I may be responsible for most of them, but definitely not all);

  5. 5. My efforts to create an alternate website have been repeatedly blocked;

  6. 6. Trying to organize broad information and present it credibly is difficult;

  7. 7. Challenging people's deeply-held beliefs about society and how it functions, plus trying to describe what the heck is going on, is hell!

Note:
I actually believe the respective companies, themselves, are responsible for items #1 to #3. By linking my surveillance to growing digital monopolies and global agendas for control, I may have brought on the corporate heavies, who knows? I strongly suspect the government is behind items #4 and #5. Items #6 and #7 are my own self-imposed struggles.




Problems accessing Blogger.com.




Not always the same types of access problems.




Stuck inside my own weblog, unable to navigate.




Similar problems with my Yahoo! email accounts, since
last October, at both my place and my mother's place.




(more examples to come)


Basically, keeping up with the constant phenomena is challenging enough - never mind trying to make sense of it all, or write about it coherently, while also trying to improve my interpersonal relationships and deal with emotional baggage.

Another dilemma I'm having is interviewing for jobs that run counter to everything I've been advocating for. [1]


More Neurotic Clarifications


I realize my neurotic, long-winded explanations are annoying, but overcoming people's judgements or inaccurate perceptions is necessary, before I can present some of my wild 'n' crazy surveillance theories. Eventually, though, I think many people will find that I've been a lot closer to the truth on various issues than most dare imagine.

It may seem like I enjoy raining on other people's parades, but, while there may be some truth in that, my main problem is: I have no way of proving certain social and political events, people, organizations, and overall patterns are linked, so I always end up looking like the Evil One. People need to question shifting social and political trends, as well as challenge their most basic assumptions about everyday realities. I can't always connect the dots here.


Unity in Diversity


To the person I recently apologized to in a recent post, I also want to say that in no way do I underestimate your talents, skills, and vision. You are a great inspiration to me, and have been for many years. I am a big fan of your work, and have even passed out flyers, or directed people to your website, out of sheer enthusiasm.

Nevertheless, there are real barriers in our society. When I wrote to you, back in 2003, I sensed that your deserved credit was being sidelined by subtle sexism in your profession, as well as through media politics. Yet, being a talented person with a unique vision, you've clearly prevailed, and you continue to build a loyal following. I, for one, am grateful that you've helped to create much-needed spaces and experiences for those who seek something different. THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Clearly, your successes have little to do with Big Brother. What you have achieved has been deservedly through your own efforts. Yet, that doesn't mean Big Bro isn't insidiously involved, eavesdropping, posing, working the scene, and so on.

Still, I'm sorry, if I undercut you. I've got a sh*tload of stress going on. Constant harassment, psychopathic threats, and downright cruelty, while bearing witness to growing injustices and unnecessary tragedies ain't no joyride. People are being harmed, and the public is being seriously co-opted. While I do see some 'sense' in it all, I personally don't believe mind control and death-dealing are necessary or justified, nor do I condone such things.

To understand the overall picture, one needs to look at history and appreciate how empires are built. The huge fanfare around Pope John Paul II's recent passing, the media's reinvigoration of Catholicism worldwide, and the installation of the new pope, Benedict XVI, for example, are not solely about public sympathy and religious interest, or even selling media and maximizing profits. [2] There's probably more to it.

I've thought about the decimation of Native peoples, as well as the history of slavery in North America. For better or for worse, such subjugation helped to create the society that we live in today. The fact is, Canadian civil rights and social equality - both of which are supposedly upheld by law - only came to pass in recent decades, starting from the 1960s onward. Given this overall context, I don't think my 'crazy' notions about deadly surveillance and political control are all that unlikely.


Nabbing the Youth Market


Speaking of mass media and conservative backings, have you checked out Dose, the new, free magazine aimed at youths? Have you also seen Dose's splashy, expensive transit ads?

Hmm. In my New Surveillance worldview, this open letter from Thunderbird's editors plays like yet another good-cop / bad-cop maneuver cleverly intended to generate media attention, and help foster both controversy and social polarizations. Frankly, I think Canada is being worked over by American media strategists with far more speed and finesse than most of us can even conceive.

Also, has anyone noticed the resurging media interest in, and frequent references to, World War II and Adolph Hitler?

I can't keep up with all the media news, but many stories, and particularly how they're being presented, seem to closely correspond with concerns I've been trying to raise on here, and the various angles I'm attempting to explore. Personally, I feel that what's happening to Canada - propaganda-wise - parallels totalitarian control tactics used in former Nazi Germany. The awful thing is: No one knows it's happening, because everything seems so normal and wonderful.


Off The Cuff


Check this out: "CBS Cancels Dan Rather's '60 Minutes'"

Last summer, I started worrying about the continuation of 60 Minutes and the fate of investigative journalism in the U.S., after they aired the story, 'Doing Business with the Enemy.' [3] Likewise, I became concerned about Canada's counterSpin TV program, which was probably one of Canada's last, free-thinking, national news programs. After watching a segment debating Canada-U.S. relations, in light of the war on Iraq, back in September 2003 (??), I circulated one of my unwelcome email rants. Three months later, the show got canned.

However much people may see me as a 'sensationalist,' my concerns and predictions are often on the mark. I may err on certain details, yet overall, democracy and freedom are being cut-back and re-moulded into a new model of control. Unfortunately, everything may appear to be progressive and feel-good.

Multicultural or alternative music concerts at Toronto's waterside entertainment complexes are a good start. For example, I immediately became suspicious about the ReggaeFest concert that got bungled last year. Sure enough, certain key players pulled a Good Cop / Bad Cop routine, while leaving others to take the blame, or to fight amongst themselves. The concert also experienced the same types of 'electrical failures,' which conveniently took place on the last day of the Citizens' Inquiry into 9-11 (the only day I attended). Now, with the growing number of mega-entertainment parties and planning developments shaping up along Front Street, I can see why that major reggae music concert was set to self-destruct in such a majorly disappointing way.


------------

[1] My employment efforts are still being tampered with by the government. I'll explain how and why, later.

[2] Articles above describe Pope John Paul II's public face. Yet, obviously, there's more to both the pope and the papacy.

[3] See 'Shifting Focus: Churchill vs. Cheney' (Feb. 23/05).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home