One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Monday, February 14, 2005

Broadcasting consent: housewives and judges

Did anyone catch last night's episode of Desperate Housewives on TV? Almost every scene in this segment of the highly popular series closely resembled my many musings and rants about social positioning, vertical mosaics, and the future of global politics - or rather, 'psychological warfare,' as character Lynette puts it, while pretending to choose between spatulas to spank her naughty boys with.

I know: vague, vague, vague. Better examples soon to come.

My concerns about media propaganda aren't solely centred on 'race issues.' The whole breaking down of the super ego (?) and toying with primal drives, kink, and other stuff, has been surfacing widely in TV, movies, and news. One may analyze a qualitative shift in mainstream news and entertainment from 2003 onward - be it subjects, themes, social depictions, or psychological approaches. The movie Kinsey comes to mind.


Perverting Justice

Here's one example of what I mean. Several people's court-type shows air on TV everyday. During my month of TV overdosing, I gravitated towards these interesting snapshots of slice-and-dice justice. Even though it's a 'wild west' approach to law, the judges are intelligent, experienced, and entertaining.

The shows in question: Judge Joe Brown, Judge Judy, Judge Matthis, Divorce Court.

The intros to the shows go something like this: 'The cases are real. The people are real. All rulings are final.'

Well, remember what I said about actors-cum-special-agents? Suddenly, I've been noticing a downhill slide in these programs. Every so often, it appears, to me, that a fabricated case comes up, emphasizing race, or race and sexuality, or just sexuality. My concern? I think they're trying to UNDO the judge's impartiality. Do I have proof? No, but I've been experiencing this same crap in my own surveillance.

Having watched these shows, every Monday to Friday, for over a month, I can tell you exactly which episodes I suspect have something fishy going on. You can probably see for yourself. But, in some cases, it's pretty subtle, yet may still affect the case's outcome, or at least, the judge's behaviour and performance.

I first saw what appear to be 'pseudo legal cases' on Judge Judy, then, Judge Joe Brown. I assume it may be happening on the other shows, as well.

The reason intelligence agencies have gotten good at this stuff - I believe - is partly due to my surveillance. I honestly suspect the personal struggles, conflicts, and social dynamics they've observed have helped to open up new vistas of insight and power for them. Not just because of me, of course, so many people and things have been involved - some of which I can't talk about because of ongoing threats.

Watch these programs for yourself. If you see the male judges getting a little glassy-eyed or titillated, for example, listen closely and watch the plaintiffs, defendants, and witnesses. Also, pay attention to the camera shots (eg, panning, close-ups, angles). Justice isn't perfect: we're all fallible and human.

I'll revisit this topic, later.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Other Information Resources:

The classic book: Manufacturing Consent by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky (1988).

The film: Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media (1992, Canada); directed by Mark Achbar and Peter Wintonick.


Note: Critically examining media isn't my deepest wish. Yet the bottom line is: 1) I'm under intense surveillance and harassment, and 2) I'm not going to passively watch, as corruption reigns unchallenged, people and creatures are oppressed, and our earth is purposely destroyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home