One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Cybercafes and phone mamas

Will That Be Ham or Turkey?

Interesting adventures at two cybercafes last night. But first, let me tell you about an experience from two summers ago.

Picture me with only one other customer in an empty cybercafe (no, not like that). I was seated by myself in a long row of 11 empty computers (with over 20 terminals in all). Half an hour later, two people came in around 10pm - one sat right beside me, while the other stood, but leaned in real close. They were pretty boisterous.

Soon, another pair came in. One sat on my other side - while his companion stood close behind us. Here I was, in this dark, vacant cybercafe, literally sandwiched between four men.

Each pair spoke a different language. As I've said, I believe the government is working with different ethnic communities to carry out certain activities, and to even create social experiments around inter-racial group dynamics. (see below)

I've often been called paranoid. Yet how would you feel in this situation? The cybercafe staff person looked on in complete amazement and concern. People usually fan out in an empty room. Not so here.

I had written notes previously, warning this person that I'm under government surveillance, and to be aware of any oddities. Of course, no one ever believes me, until they see it with their own eyes - or unless the government contacts them directly.

I believe that's what the government did, eventually. Over time, the staff's attitude towards me changed from alert wariness to an 'oh-I-see' kinda looks. Like I'm the criminal.

Let's say the government did contact the cybercafe staff (plus my neighbours, acquaintances, local shopkeepers, potential employers, and so on - which CSIS is known to do). Who are people gonna believe?

Me? ---> furtive, nervous, desperate

Or Big Brother? ---> power, info, credibility


I believe my surveillers are closely studying behaviour patterns among people and between different ethnic groups (east vs. west, north vs. south, you name it), and applying this information to bigger agendas - like U.S.-Canada integration, among other things.

We are in denial: 'deep integration' between Canada and the U.S. is well underway. I believe the cultural assimilation process is being stepped up - especially in near-border cities, like Hamilton, Windsor, certain provinces, and so on - but under a false guise of progressive development.

So, what usually happens when one fish is bigger than the other? .......Right.

Isn't this what the whole 'War Against Terrorism' propaganda, and our resulting loss of privacy and civil liberties, is all about - control?

See The Council of Canadians' U.S.-Canada Relations page.

Some readings on social equity and cultural identity in Canada:

John Porter's 1965 classic, Vertical Mosaic: An Analysis of Social Class and Power in Canada.

Maria Barrados' speech for the Annual John Porter Memorial Lecture, March 2004.

Theoretical synopsis of Canadian class and social stratification by Professor Paul Gingrich, University of Regina. (Excellent excerpts from the Vertical Mosaic.)

The Vertical Mosaic Revisited, edited by Rick Helmes-Hayes and James Curtis.

'The Paradox of Cultural Identity in English Canada' by Ian Angus of Simon Fraser University.

-----------------------------------------------------------


Last night, my experiences at two cybercafes were similar to above.

Cybercafe One: I'm surrounded by five empty terminals on my left, and one on my right. Where does this guy choose to sit? Beside me, on the right. He also leaned back and stretched every so often to hide the fact he was deliberately watching my screen. (fuller description to come)

I'm not saying this is how the government monitors one's computer access. They spy on whole networks of people. People's entire computer activities - on and offline - can be recorded from anywhere. The point is, this person behaved strangely and gave off real bad vibes. I haven't mentioned all the details.

(Read about 'data mining' and the Echelon project.)


Cybercafe Two: I head off to a larger place, and sit at the back. Plenty of empty terminals, even completely unoccupied sections.

About 11:00pm, a guy comes in. He strides purposefully past several sections, turns, and heads right for me. Squeezing behind my chair, he too sits down next to me. We're both secluded in this one corner, like lovers in paradise. Exact same scenario as Cybercafe One.

They're not exactly being discrete here. Wish I had a camera with me, but a snapshot wouldn't nearly capture the burning hatred in some of these people's eyes.


[Edit: I started using cybercafes when I disconnected my internet service for two years, mostly due to hacking, but unemployment was also a factor. Having just signed up again in May of this year, I still use cybercafes on occasion for various reasons (eg, computer down, privacy concerns, etc).]

-------------------------------------------------------------

Phone Mamas


So that was yesterday. Today, I got two phone calls:

11:55am - Wrong number call 416-954-8085

12:05pm - Ten minutes later, a manager from a major entertainment district I once worked for returned my call. Hadn't picked up my paycheque for a long time and have been following up on that.

My semi-broken phone doesn't usually ring at all, much less LOUDLY. So I was startled. Both callers acted strangely. First caller was oh-so-quick to say, 'Oh! I must have the wrong number!' (giggle, giggle).

Then, the restaurant manager calls. She starts off like this:

Manager: 'Hii-i,' (almost sexy, knowing, drawn out tone). Like I'm supposed to know who it is. Note: I've never met this person; we've spoken twice over the past three weeks (oh, the joys of getting one's paycheque).

Me:
'Hello?'

Manager:
'Oh, hi-i-i.' (again breathy, sexy, friendly - big pause) 'Is this L.? (me)'

Me: 'Yes.'

Manager:
'It's __D.__.' (another pause, I'm obviously confused) '___D.___ from the (X restaurant).'


The whole conversation continued in this same teasing tone. Not friendly teasing, more like a put-down. Like, 'Are you sure you weren't already paid', 'Oh, too bad for you,' and so on.

See why people think I'm a conspiracy freak? But check out other posts, and hear other calls.

If you're thinking I haven't connected the dots here, you're right. All I can tell you is, after working at this place, I circulated an email about how important the film and media industry are to 'deep integration' between U.S. and Canada. Hospitality staff are like a mini-army, and film extras, models, and wannabe actors are a dime a dozen. With good co-ordination, security bodies are able to monitor and control social situations and the general public to a massive degree.

(See other post: 'Look what the mailman brought' - November 19.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home