One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Growing list of problems

My mother's front door lock developed problems today, after we came home. It was installed two years ago.

I happened to ask my mother recently about the front door lock. The moment I did, I immediately regretted it.

So guess what? The following day, a guy named Jay Joseph from Bhattika Securities comes by to enquire about the home's security system (or lack of).

Considering I immediately thought some new *incident* would happen, relating to the front door, and given factors below, I hope you can understand my suspicion towards security salesman Jay Joseph.

I also don't wish to feed stereotypes or prejudices, but if a young African-Caribbean man comes to your door, as dusk is setting, and continues to ask about your home security, when you're clearly not interested, this seems unusual and contrived to me. (see below)

Note: I have many well-timed incidents or encounters, like this one, and often anticipate them.

Jay Joseph was persistent, and kept focusing on potential threats and safety factors. My mother didn't think anything. But he wouldn't leave, and did not seem intent on selling anything; he merely emphasized possible dangers. (see below)

He claimed it was his second day on the job, yet he also pointed out the security sticker on my mother's window. If he was new on the job, and quite young (I'd say under 21), is it likely he'd bother approaching a house that already appears to have a security system in place, sticker and all? (My mother had discontinued the service.) His complete disregard for overstaying one's welcome was also strange: pitching home security systems isn't like selling chocolate-covered almonds, or recruiting converts to a religious group.

This sales visit came the day before Hallowe'en, and ten days before the first year anniversary of my Uncle Joseph's death (see November 2003). Other odd things happened this same weekend, but I didn't bother to write about them.

Two nights before this , I had phoned a friend and left a message, saying my recollections from the previous year were stressing me out. I specifically mentioned my Uncle Joseph's death and how my landlord installed a new fire alarm on Hallowe'en. Two weeks later, my fire alarm goes beserk the evening I return from my mother's. I'm not saying all this is connected, just offering contextual information.


Here's a summary:


1. Thursday: Stressed phone message to friend mentioning Uncle Joseph, Halloween, and fire alarm.

2. Friday: I happen to ask my mom about the front door.

3. Saturday: Very young salesperson comes to the door, trying to sell home security systems; his last name is Joseph; he's very persistent, but only focuses on threats and danger, not selling.

4. Two weeks later: I come home from my mother's, my fire alarm develops sudden problems and has to be removed.

5. Five weeks later: My mom's front door lock isn't working properly, though it's fairly new. She has to fix it, using a screwdriver.


Here's another example of timing:

Once, when harassment was intense, a supposed life insurance salesperson called me. They kept listing all the different ways I might come to harm - a long list. I felt it was an unusual sales approach, especially coming from an unknown caller.

(If I didn't actually have some messages posted (see sidebar), plus three more cassette tapes to come, people would tell me I'm 'imagining things,' am 'paranoid,' or 'delusional.')

I'll be putting up a web page listing all the problems or anomalies that happen to my mother, and any comments I made or actions I did beforehand. You'll be amazed.


[Edit: My mother didn't think anything then. But she's been nervous about how secure the house is ever since. Not because of the salesperson, but because of my attitude that day, and persistent problems over the past five weeks. Eg, front door lock, banging noises from heating duct, phone calls, stereo starts up almost on cue, TV cable became disconnected by itself, bird suddenly under the weather after she said how well he's doing, AND SO ON...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home