One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Fighting fires

Just came back from my mother's this evening. Started making dinner. the fire alarm starts going off. Deafening (!!!). This phone recording doesn't do it justice.

Fire Alarm
this is an audio post - click to play


So many things I could say about about this fire alarm, plus the whole fire-fighting theme over the past two weeks, but difficult to explain.

So the fire alarm's blaring away. I open my door to let out any possible steam or smoke (there isn't any). Who comes along to complain about the noise but a neighbour whom I suspect of being a 'plant' (unlike other neighbours whom I believe have merely been co-opted). (Toooo loooong to explain.)

He then comes back a second time to suggest taking out the battery. Says they're running down in everyone's apartments. I have yet to hear a fire alarm go off at anyone else's place but mine. Believe me, you'd hear it.

As he leaves, he mentions again 'weak batteries' and 'keep things quiet.'

(I've mentioned repeatedly about my loss of energy in the past few months, concerns for my well-being, and subtle threats. I also wrote a long post a few days ago: Learning in the trenches (November 10.)

Maybe worth noting that my fire alarm was installed on Halloween last year, with the parting remark, 'Have a nice evening.'

Then, soon after the fire alarm was installed, it's red light went out and it never seemed to work - even when I literally smoked up the place. I mentioned this in a letter I almost sent my landlord, but never did (December 2003). Miraculously, the fire alarm suddenly went from dead to ultra-sensitive shortly after - all by itself. Now, even a burnt Eggo can set it wailing.

This neighbour said the fire alarm battery in the apartment opposite him also needed replacing. He mentions what I know to be true about most fire alarms: they beep intermittently to signal a low battery. This usually lasts a period of several weeks, and the beeps become longer and more annoying.

But this did NOT happen with my fire alarm.

I simply came home, started cooking, it started beeping in spurts from about 5:30pm, then blared non-stop by 6:30pm. You may notice in the phone recording how the volume intensity changes. I also have a broken phone that only rings *sometimes*. Just one of several things that has gone quirky in my place. (photos to come)

As I'm writing this, there has been no heat this evening. My fire alarm goes bonkers, and there's no heating.

I predict there will be many new problems on the horizon. Keep you posted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home