One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Never short of calls

As I've said, my voicemail box fills up regularly with unsolicited calls. Here's yet another beeping or marketing call, short on the heels of the two from last week (see other post). Received yesterday at 6:32PM.

this is an audio post - click to play


Plus a call from D.M. Lawrence (416-251-8731) on Sept. 12 at 12:22PM, who wasn't able to leave any message because my box was full.

You might ask, if it's really phone harassment, why bother calling when the box is full??

Good question. My phone didn't have call display, so I often used Call Return service (*69) to check who the last caller was - even if my box was full - to prove to myself and others that I've been getting lots of calls from strangers. Basically, *they* (my surveillers) would know that it has the same effect on me.

Last week, I finally got a new telephone (haven't had a properly working one for nearly 2 years, which many people can attest to). While speaking to Bell, I noticed by some strange/interesting stroke of luck that I happen to have Call Display enabled, even though I've never ordered that service. Funny.

I've also had a few glitches with my phone bills this past year (eg, calls I never made). Like in May, I had a 4-11 Directory Assistance charge to an organization called, "Friends of Shopping Bag Ladies, Inc." Hmm...this was during a week when I was contacting some women's organizations. But the thing is: 1) I never used Directory Assistance, and 2) I definitely did not call this organization -- I've never even heard of them before.

I also suspect the 'Bag Ladies' part is a play on both my financial status (presently I have $30 in the bank, and have had a negative balance more times than I care to recall)*, AND the fact that I've been carrying my heavy backpack obsessively since 9-11 happened (reasons to come). Kinda like a bag lady. In fact, a number of people have jokingly commented, 'You're like a bag lady.'

I literally take my pack with me everywhere. I never leave it unattended -- not even in my apartment (unless I'm only gone for a short period of time). If I have to work somewhere, I bring my bag and either tape it or lock it - or do both. I once asked a neighbour to babysit my bag because I wanted 'a night off.' Unfortunately, I've actually offended some people because they thought I didn't trust them. Needless to say, my whole posture has been affected by all this -- it's damn heavy. I don't know if people can quite grasp what it's like to carry something everywhere and worry about it incessantly for three years.

Ironically, the Bell rep I spoke to about the 4-11 phone charge and other incorrect billings said, "The system never makes a mistake." She's probably right.

What's interesting is how many anomalies I've been having with Bell services in the past year, and my mother, too, during the past several weeks.

I hope some people may recall what I have written in past listserv posts or mail-outs about these various issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home