One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Clearing phone messages

As soon as I clear space for new messages, within a few hours or, at most, half a day, I get new wrong number or marketing calls.


Yesterday (Wed. Sept. 8)


Call #1:

9:29am
- Naseem R. Shaikh 416-242-8189

  • I had a previous call from this guy, many months ago. But get this: I dialled [*-9-8] yesterday to retrieve this message, and for a second time, I was somehow magically connected to an actual phone line -- just by dialing [*-9-8]! So Mr. Shaikh answers, 'Hello, hello...hello?' I recognized his voice immediately, as I've been repeatedly saving his message along with 23 others, week after week. But instead of answering him, or hanging up, I simply left the phone off the hook. I didn't actually call him, so I didn't feel compelled to respond, in any way.
  • I have two different messages that seem to have the exact SAME VOICE, but one is from Naseem Shaikh, and the other message has a different name. The two telephone numbers are also very similar (416-461-8189 and 416-242-8189). But, strangely, it's the last four digits that are the same - not the first three, which are normally used to denote a specific locale, within an overall area.

  • Above incident hearkens back to a phone message I received right after '9-11' happened (ie, September 11 attacks on World Trade Center in New York). The caller is speaking Arabic, I believe, and the number that registered in my voicemail was '(416) 000-0000'. In talking to a Bell Canada customer service representative, it was confirmed that such a number could only be set from within Bell.

Call #2:

2:03pm - Bomatic Inc. 905-673-6500



Today (Thur. Sept. 9)

Call #3:

8:16 am - Beeping fax call
(ah, but this time it's an untraceable number; just yesterday I had posted a beeping call with a number attached.)


Call #4:

1:41 pm - R. Ubhi 902-434-4154



(How many long-distance wrong number calls do you get? I've had many.)

------------------------------------------------------


This past week, besides the calls, there have been several email contributors, who respond soon after me on several lists I'm on, which subtly, though indirectly, may polarize tensions between whites and non-whites. I'd say only one or two of these people are the real McCoys; the rest are suspect.

I also did a google search today for my website, and found two other 'oneadventure' web addresses. The first one, oneadventure.com, I already knew about and had been registered before mine.

The second one, oneadventure.de, is new, and while I tried doing a WhoIs search to find out more about this site -- including using Germany's dedicated WhoIs search -- I could find no information whatsoever, which is unusual, if not impossible: domain names must be registered.

Early on during my surveillance, I had discussed both race and world politics on a listserv, which was not inappropriate. Perhaps the difference was that: a) I had first-hand experience of the places I was talking about, and b) I also tried to relate my concerns back to the program I was attending at the time. I then mentioned that there was an upcoming meeting to discuss anti-oppression issues.

That was in 2000. Shortly after that, I began to have email anomalies, like messages bouncing from an email account at one provider (mailandnews.com) to a different email account with a completely different provider (mail.com). So, actually, I've been having email and internet problems on and off for several years now. Only thing that I could do about it was to stop using the computer altogether, which I did. (Disconnected internet for 2 years.)

I don't believe these pranks are being done by fellow students or even hate groups. The level of sophistication and persistence, and now, the amount of people involved, really suggest a body with resources dedicated to monitoring people - particularly 'subversives.'

There's more to this, but not enough time to write at this moment...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home