One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Technology glitches continue

See next post, 'Leafletting for Jack Layton.'

It's now 3:30am - just tried to 'audioblog' my calls again. Here's what happened:

1) Went to my weblog. One of the phone messages has been deleted - yet I just posted it.

2) Several times this month, I've had email tampering - and now weblog tampering.
- Week after Citizens' Inquiry into 9-11 (June 1-10 sent emails to media and listservs. Of the 20-plus newspapers I emailed almost all bounced back to me for over a week. ??)
- This week I've been emailing, talking and leafletting about Canada's federal election - and suddenly, I'm having phone problems and both weblog and email deletions.

3) Try to call Audioblogger.com again and just before line connects, I can hear distinct breathing - yet Audioblogger is a completely automated service.

3) I hang up and try again, but Audioblogger's automated response keeps asking for my number. I punch it in about 7 times, but the recording keeps repeating. And I can still hear someone breathing in the background.

4) As I'm about to hang up, I hear clicking and now the recorded voice says, "You have used up your phone limit. You must purchase additional calls to continue using this service." Audioblogger is a free service (apparently, it used to be paid), so I shouldn't be getting this message at all.

5) The sounds (ie, breathing, repeating message, numberpad having no effect, clicking on the line and rustling noises) are consistent with someone interfering with my call.

6) Just before writing these two posts, I was surfing the net for sites on technology, privacy, and security.

7) While all this is going on, my neighbour downstairs -- someone who has harassed me endlessly for well over a year (as she even admitted to another neighbour), and whom I've suggested is co-opted into the surveillance/harassment** -- is suddenly coughing and banging loudly directly under me, where I'm sitting. Eg, Discovering deleted weblog post, during phone wrangle with Audioblogger.com, and then, the buzzing of my apartment door.

So in the two hours I'm writing all this, and trying to upload phone messages, I get: i) weird phone tampering, ii) my audio post is deleted, iii) neighbour is acting up, and d) someone buzzes on my door. This is from 1:30 - 3:30am.

**If this sounds trivial, bear in mind that people have moved out because this person makes such disturbing noise. Among her repertoire of sounds, she'll drop something heavy like a bowling ball directly beneath me, wherever I am in the apartment. Very unnerving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home