One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Saturday, June 26, 2004

'Leafletting for Jack Layton'

Got 2 phone messages today: one's a wrong number (Jack Layton campaign), other's a beeping call. I got 4 calls about the federal election, yet I have an unlisted number and do not generally give my number out.

You'd think I was 411. I get calls for so many different people, organizations, and businesses - be it Pizza Pizza, two different hospitals, doctors, lawyers, realtors, other people's friends - you name it.

Either my phone has a major technical glitch, or I'm being harassed. If you listen to my messages, you'll understand why I think it's the latter. This stuff has been going on for 3 years! So many calls closely echo events or conversations in my own life.


(If link above doesn't work, use MisterPrivacy.com, then copy and paste http://oneadventure.tripod.com/.)


Like today's message. With Mon June 28 being the Federal Election, I called the Council of Canadians two weeks ago asking for extra copies of their excellent 'Voter's Guide'. Got one in my FoodShare food box the other day and decided to pass them around. The leaflets arrived on Tues June 22.

Next evening, I distributed a bunch of Voter's Guides along with FoodShare leaflets. At one store, the shopkeeper asked who I'm voting for, and we enthusiastically agreed that Jack Layton would be our choice.

Now today, two days later, someone from Jack Layton's campaign office calls asking for 'Pierre' to help distribute *leaflets* for Friday, Saturday, Sunday (June 26-28). (...seems kinda familiar.)

this is an audio post - click to play


If it's a real call, it's pretty short notice. Today's already Friday. Also 'calling on supporters' so close to election day, you'd think they'd rely on more current volunteers, people they have up-to-date phone numbers for.

My number is UNLISTED. I've had it for almost 4 years. Funnily, I received four calls about the election (1 NDP, 3 Liberal). When I mentioned this to someone, they were surprised: they didn't get any and would've loved the chance to sound off. My voicemail message should also be a clue that they may have reached the wrong person.

Yes, maybe this guy dialled incorrectly. But still, I get so MANY wrong numbers that closely echo activities in my own life. Read other examples here.

Beeping message below arrives 6 minutes later. I get many of these, but at very specific times.

Beeps
this is an audio post - click to play


Finally, as I am typing this post, somebody just buzzed on my apartment - it's 1:45AM!

I've had people buzz my apartment before to harass me, so I often ignore it just like I do my phone.

Read some of my emails about the election.

Interesting links:

Eclectic message board about phones.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home