One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Innovating our society

Remember what I said about implementation? Social and environmental innovations don't always work well within existing frameworks. A key challenge to creating positive and lasting changes in our society lies in bridging where things are at now and what is possible.

Looking back at the things I've helped to create, with a far more critical eye (now that I have a sharp reviewer for a friend), I can see how strongly biased things may appear to others, at first glance. [1] However, you actually have to be IN THE SITUATION to understand:

  1. Why the material is tailored to certain audiences (eg, who makes the decisions? what are the desired outcomes? etc);

  2. Why the information or overall emphasis may seem to be directed at certain people or causes, or to lean in specific directions; and

  3. How and why my ideas actually work.


I try to include and acknowledge all people or interested parties - without diluting the overall message, purpose, or targeted outcomes of the project. Innovation balanced with practicality.


Creating Change Through Community

I enjoy discussing social-environmental change ideas in many different areas. But the one that matters to me most, and which Big Brother has learned so much from, is my never-ending quest to create community. I don't just mean any type of community, but the kind that really opens up one's heart and soul to a deeper experience of joy and communion, while (optionally) still supporting important causes or group action. [1] I've participated in equitable and caring community groups or gatherings (usually non-political ones), so I know it is possible to create them - yet, it's always a delicate process: respect is key.

Before, I always attempted to broaden social contexts, so that everyone may participate. Greater equality and satisfaction, effective co-operation, and more productive outcomes are often the result. I suppose this is called participatory democracy. [2]

Big Brother has found my views and approaches to be highly useful. Sure, there are countless other people, who are far more accomplished, intelligent, active, and capable than myself, whom the government really should be watching. Yet, there are many reasons why I've remained a prime focus for Big Brother.


------

[1] Far too many activists feel drained and overburdened. Yet, most do not realize how supportive and energizing, as well as practical and constructive, circles and circling can be.

[2] More about participatory democracy:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home