One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Fuller dimensions

Stereotypes are simpler, more convenient.

To show how subtle harassment is going on, I often highlight certain facts, and leave out unimportant details. Yet I end up writing about things in a dualistic, objectified manner. Anger and frustration are sometimes factors. My February 4 post, 'Murder by numbers,' is one example of many. I'm sorry for pigeonholing anybody.

Drawing attention to my financial situation, or neurotically detailing my spending, also happens for various reasons. For example, I used to see my therapist on a sliding payment scale and, having sent my blog link to many who know me, I feel obligated to explain certain things.

When I bitterly comment about my mother's financial stress, I'm probably displacing guilt and blame I feel about putting her through so much hardship. (No, she isn't homeless or completely destitute, but people can still suffer. Pictures may help tell the story better than I can.) I'm also expressing valid anger towards those who know both my mother and I, as I've felt deeply betrayed by their disbelief in my situation.

(True, it's probably unreasonable of me to expect them to believe in this whole surveillance stuff. But I wasn't feeling very 'reasonable.' I probably needed to be seeing a therapist, but for many complex reasons, didn't manage to.)

Unfortunately, what started out as racist surveillance has escalated to national, if not global, proportions. I've sometimes felt like the anti-Christ.

Indirect ethnic cleansing is underway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home