One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Clearing up a few things

To people in my former programme,

Kindly take a peek at these sites, below. Of course, they couldn't possibly be describing me or any personal challenges I may be facing. I can hear the murmurs now...deceitful, lying, sneaky...troublemaker. I know, I'll always be the 'evil step-sister': essentialized notions of goodness run deep.

1. Borderline Personality Disorder.*

2. The medical version.

3. Suggested treatments.

*Note where it says, 'manifestation of post-traumatic stress disorder.'

No worries about my gossiping about past situations, or backstabbing the programme. I have few, if any, friends to tell. I don't usually gossip, anyway: I vent directly to the people or institutions concerned.

People see what they want to see. One time, I recall leaving a popular class on the very last day. People thought I was walking out in a huff, yet I had a Dean's Exam, and didn't want to disrupt the group by saying so.

Likewise, I have my own interpretation of things. I'm often harsh and critical because the system simply isn't working for me.

Am I delusional? Or just plain negative, and raining on other people's parades?

Well, take my criticisms about the Tsunami disaster. Have you EVER seen so much mobilization and total support around any issue before by media, government, NGOs, organizations, and the general public? Please recall the FTAA Summit. There's gotta be more to all this (see 'Bush's activism and other wonders').

I know I inspire much ill-will and hostility from others. Yet, many of you are helping me on my journey to self-healing. Thank you.

Your angry ally in arms,
me

PS - BPD is due to psychosocial factors, not pathological ones. Two percent of the population has borderline personality traits, and they're mostly women.

PPS - I disagree with some of the assessments in the links, above. For example, I don't see things in black-and-white; I see many shades of gray. Yet, when people are upset, hurting, or angry, their thoughts and feelings polarize quickly. I've also met other BPD types in therapy. Despite strong anger, I find these women are extremely nice, big-hearted people, often spiritually-inclined. We share a common desire for fairness and community. Good luck finding that in the 'real world.'

More thoughts on co-operatives and community to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home