One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Good tidings?

Not to put a damper on anyone's festive mood, but here are some belated whinings and updates.

While writing the post below ('Raising the alarms'), the fuse in my apartment blew YET AGAIN - fourth time in six weeks. I was home all of 3 hours. (Been staying at my mother's, but had gone to my place to check mail, etc.)

It felt like a dire warning. I headed back to my mother's place, where the 'weird' incidents have continued...

Next day - Thursday, December 23
CTV News byline announces 'Activist and parents commit suicide pact.' The woman was a firm disability rights proponent. Why would both she and her parents suddenly kill themselves together in a back room? They left a note instructing people to 'Call 9-1-1.' Just because there's a note doesn't necessarily prove a suicide. Interesting how the headlines emphasized 'activist' and 'suicide.' Why not, 'disabled woman and parents commit suicide'? Will this help seed public belief in other deaths? (See December 18 and November 15 posts about activists and presumed suicide.)

Monday, December 27
Helped shovel the snow. Closing the garage door, I pressed the button twice and stared at the garage light for a moment. Then I thought, shit, now there's going to be garage door problems.* Following day, presto: the garage door only opens halfway. My mother is forced to call a technician.

*If I look at or mention anything in particular at my mother's place, it will suddenly develop problems or malfunction.

What preceded my garage door prediction?

While I was shovelling, my neighbour steps out for a smoke. I hardly know him - we met once before, briefly. Yet he starts speaking to me in a familiar tone; not quite sarcastic or intimidating, but almost.

'So you're helping your mother shovel the snow?' he says. I was doing the sidewalks, so he tells me, 'I used to help your mother with the sidewalks last winter, but now I'm working on a...rotational shift.' He makes a circular motion with his finger, kinda like the 'you're crazy' gesture.

He then asks about my employment situation. (Funny, I happen to be chronically unemployed.) With slow, deliberate emphasis, he says quite loudly, 'That's what Christmas is all about: money and food.' Interesting choice of words. (More on this later re: harassment, financial means, food security, surveillance in food industry, etc.)

This guy is a contractor for a major media company. I've had prior suspicions about him and his wife. Although they act neighbourly towards my mother, their comments and actions are sometimes strange, and indirectly cause her to worry. Contact with her invariably coincides with harassing periods in my own life.

Example: One week I had lots of stress going on (checking date...). The wife, who is half my mother's age, comes to the door at 10pm, saying how scared she is. Having just driven back from the cottage all by herself - an odd time for one so easily spooked - she somehow notices a white pigeon egg in her hanging porch planter (?!). I was on the phone with my mother, so I could hear the melodramatic pleas to help remove this 'white egg' (oh my god, look at it - oh my god!). Like, who cares if there's an egg in your plants? How did you even see it (10pm, hanging planter)? If you're frightened, get in the house and lock the door. Why disturb an older neighbour who's probably heading for bed soon? Ahh, exactly. My mother often has nightmares and is slightly superstitious. Subtle stress events like this, and various other weird incidents, worry her.)

How am I able to *anticipate* so many events? (It isn't just limited to my own activities. I've been somewhat accurate in predicting anomalies for others, too.)

The Zippy recorder I just got and had to return is a good example:

1. HOW did my landlord get hold of this precious package?

2. HOW did I know it wouldn't work properly when I opened it?

3. WHY did I suspect the person I bought it from might be made complicit with the government's wishes, before I even got the recorder?

(Almost cancelled the order because I expected tampering, but it arrived very quickly. The seller's attitude towards me changed soon after our initial and uneventful phone conversation. He also switched email addresses to 'chrisonemillion;' his previous email was more surveillance oriented. Have I mentioned how the government plays on ethnicity and ramps up suspicions about my being either wealthy or corrupt, or both?)

4. WHY did I predict the seller would behave strangely and give me the runaround, even though he has an extremely high customer satisfaction rating?

5. HOW did I know when I mailed the package back to B.C., something was bound to go wrong?

(The Zippy recorder has mysteriously disappeared, though I handed it directly to staff at a main postal office downtown. Surprise! The person I bought it from says he hasn't seen it; it's been four weeks. Despite two phone calls and several emails, he's been quick to brush me off, telling me three times he's busy meeting with his 'accountant.' Sure, I understand.)

[Edit: There are new developments. Info to come.]

---------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated babble:

You probably think I'm a self-involved twat. My petty problems are so minor compared to, say, the Tsunami disaster. But what a totally hyped event, and an excellent opportunity to emphasize population concerns, cultural differences, and compare economics. The tack being taken by media, the visuals, and the wording are very...interesting.

Yes, my gripes may seem trivial; yet they may prove to be a guidepost to current and future trends - both locally and globally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home