One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Canada-U.S.: Marriage at last

I'm not the only one talking about liberal Americans fleeing to Canada (see 'Map of Jesus Land explained').

But perhaps I'm the only one who's suggesting this likely population trend is being encouraged by conservatives on both sides of the border.

Canada embracing gay equality and visibility would be one way to draw Americans north. Popular sex columnist Dan Savage thinks so. Unfortunately, his positive, coming-to-terms-with-Bush, 'island theory' resembles exactly the Divide and Conquer trends I see taking place.

I've given reasons why I think queer acceptance is advantageous to the powerful elite. Not an incisive analysis, I admit: personal experience and intuition count for far less, and are harder to extrapolate into broader arguments. Yet gay rights and queer visibility are clearly being ramped up in both political and economic spheres.

I have reason to believe the queer community is being infiltrated, and that people are being solicited as moles. (The strangulation of transsexual Cassandra Do and my own weird encounters are things I question, but there are many more strategic, and seemingly queer-positive developments. Info to come.)

What could this potentially mean? Well, manipulation of activist groups and progressive communities - and their offshoot economies - from the ground up.

Social tolerance carries a lot of cachet. The annual Pride Parade is a multi-million dollar tourist draw. Non-acceptance of queers can also have distinct cultural and racial overtones. African-Caribbean communities and countries, for example, are known to be extremely homophobic.

(Funny how this issue is getting front-page international coverage recently, just as Prime Minister Martin is suddenly advocating same-sex marriage, following President Bush's visit to Ottawa.)

Settlement patterns do influence culture. Americans moving north is as relevant to Canadian sovereignty, as are existing concerns about ethno-racial balances.

Last year, I saw an Israeli-produced documentary about Protestant-Catholic conflicts in Northern Ireland. Didn't catch the title, but it was an insightful film. Among other things, I learned that Britain actively encouraged Protestants to settle in Northern Ireland to help maintain a political presence from the 1960s onward.

I was also struck by how much the fighting, suffering, and entrenched hostility in Northern Ireland resonated with my own experiences of harassment - yes, right here in Toronto. Attempts to suppress me have been like a war of sorts. One side wants relief, the other side wants total domination, with lots of enmity all around. In a word: ugly.

You may not believe me today, but widespread electronic surveillance is well underway. I and my family (and many others) are a test-case scenario. I think the information is being used to:

1. Study people and groups to help get a grassroots hold within ALL areas of society (rural/urban, academia, corporations, charities, sports, health institutions, support groups, you name it) and across cultures;

2. Create media that will shape public attitudes, and help reinforce social pecking orders - particularly in a dualistic 'good vs. evil' fashion;

3. Ensure even closer ties between governments and corporations;

4. Support hidden agendas for global domination and economic control.


The documentary film on Northern Ireland helped me understand what the struggles and seemingly perpetual violence were all about. I don't usually watch TV or read newspapers, etc. All I knew was it involved religious conflict (actually cultural and economic), the IRA (Irish Republican Army), bombs, and the killings of many civilians.

Am I a product of my generation? My parents seem to know all about these things, both currently and historically (sigh).

Read more about how Britain maintained 'colonial rule in Ireland with a cover of "democracy,"' from the 19th century until Partition in 1921.

It closely mirrors today's ongoing battles between the 'little people' and major powers (corporations, government) - particularly in key areas like agriculture, and other ecological mainstays. Too bad that typical clashes between community-based peoples and capitalistic resource-controllers always favour the exploiters.

My surveillance theories may be off-the-wall, but the point remains: Toronto is Canada's largest city and economic heartland, and so, a likely target for establishing U.S. political influence and control.

Other hot spots? Vancouver, Montreal, Hamilton, Windsor, the Maritimes, and...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home