One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Friday, December 10, 2004

Shouldering the burden

Notice how they never use the 'L' word to refer to U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney's openly queer daughter, Mary Cheney? The less stigmatizing word is 'gay.'

Going through the wringer with surveillance - and watching the way industry and state in Canada are becoming bed buddies, with U.S. and Canada strengthening ties faster than one can say, 'Bye-bye sovereignty' - I've learned tough lessons.

My heart goes out to African-Caribbean Canadians - especially any queer women and men from that community. For these people, there's little escape or shelter from tyranny. In this difficult game of politics and pecking orders, plus growing right-wing fundamentalism in North America, strong, intelligent African-Caribbean women activists are probably most vulnerable. Systems created by a few disempowers many, right from the start.

In the past few months, several African-Caribbean women I know have written to me at odd times, with strange knowing comments. When I responded, they never wrote back. I've also been receiving weird email bounces from certain people*, and my posts to a listserv haven't been going through. Very odd.

(Read about Sustainable Africa Newsletter spam and other hijinx. Other examples to come.)

To these incredible women, who are possibly being co-opted by intelligence agencies (CSIS, etc), and may have little choice but to co-operate, I apologize. They may be telling you what an idiot I've been, but I was in deep pain, and felt shafted by all sides. I'm sorry if they may be interfering with you.

*Note: About email bounces, yes, some people may be blocking emails, but not those in question. Also, in trying to change internet service providers and explore privacy measures, I've had bounced emails and unanswered messages all week. More info to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home