One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Monday, December 13, 2004

Disturbing the peace

Wow, I have to laugh at myself.    :)   :0   :D

I have a real knack for inviting suspicions and judgement. No, I wasn't threatened with 'investigation' because of financial wrongdoing. It had to do with my passport.

Due to my own miscommunication and odd behaviour, and having had lived in Asia for an extended time, the government thought I might be part of a passport ring.

Ironically, I never associated with shady characters while abroad; but my travels in developing countries were sometimes intense and survival-oriented (pics to come).

I came back to Toronto somewhat shell-shocked, and much changed. Spiritual malaise and confusion turned to depression; then, anger. Being back was tough. People talk about reverse culture-shock, but you have no idea, until you've experienced it.

Also, Toronto may be one of the most multicultural cities in the world, but I find people are quick to pigeon-hole or dismiss each other, and tend to be closed-off. As with any large city. Also, despite being born and raised in Toronto (an issue that's oddly highlighted in the movie, National Treasure), I often experience prejudice and subtle racism - even in the most progressive of circles. So call me sensitive.

Gradually, my inner hell became an outer one. Feeling negatively judged by both native Canadians and newcomers, alike, and not having much social support, I became more political and outspoken. What a bonus I've been to the authorities!

Over five years of monitoring, and three years of being relentlessly surveilled and perniciously harassed - while unemployed, emotionally unwell, and often isolated - has been terrifying, at times. I've also worried about others, and certain people have died. I now believe emboldened conservative entities are drastically increasing infiltration into progressive milieus and spying on the general public, with the help of U.S. funding.

Do I have tangible proof of this? No.

Maybe if I had a job, social standing, resources, connections, and could rely on the integrity of average citizens, law enforcement, and so on, it'd be a different story.

All I can say is, I've gained a better understanding of war, brutality, intelligence operations, mind control, and punishment of the human psyche.

Yes, my own personal chaos helped escalate things to their present state. I was, and still am, deeply hurting. Coming under surveillance and harassment hasn't been a picnic, either. Yet no one ever believed in either my pain or my circumstances.

So, is it my fault that conservative forces have totally benefitted from my surveillance and oppression? Intelligence agencies, in collusion with corporations, love power and information: they want new ways to Divide and Conquer. This doesn't bode well for the country or fellow citizens.

Many stories of abuse by authorities exist - sometimes horrifying ones. Yet I believe this situation goes beyond a few institutions harassing innocent citizens.* But you'll have to judge for yourself.


*Note: Terrorizing is the word I'd like to use, but so much of what I'm saying is yet unproven.

[Edit: For a fairly realistic look at how surveillance methods have advanced, see Runaway Jury and National Treasure. (More discussion to come.)]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home