One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Monday, November 15, 2004

Thoughts on Tooker Gomberg

While others gradually accepted environmental activist Tooker Gomberg's tragic passing as a suicide in March 2004, I have persistently questioned the circumstances of his death - rather insensitively and almost fanatically so.

Yet through further inquiry, I believe I was able to highlight a few inconsistencies in the supposed actions Tooker took. It also became clear that his psychiatrist had been, in my view, unusually negligent. Tooker's surviving loved ones agree that medication was a likely factor in his suicide. I believe it either caused Tooker's suicide, or helped facilitate belief in it occurring. Tooker's body has never been found.

What's further unsettling is that:

1) For over two years, I had made it a point to tell my therapists, and other people, that I would never attempt suicide, in spite of my severe depression.

2) As I started sending more information to Greenspiration (Tooker and Angela's email and website), I was concerned that Tooker may also become a target, and was concerned about his safety (due to my uncle's death in November 2003).

3) Several activists have apparently committed suicide in the past two years.


Yet I'm not the only one who has doubts about Tooker's death:

Why take helmet to suicide?


I find it difficult to accept that Tooker Gomberg would have taken his own life. While he was a master of making the bold statement, Tooker was always, always, in favour of preserving life. I once had the opportunity to share time with this dangerous radical (I use the term in the affectionate sense), and there was no inkling that he was capable of taking the life of any creature, great or tiny. He loved life. And many people loved him. He was passionate, kind and focused.

I cannot fathom why a man would wear a bicycle helmet on a trip to commit suicide.

Jack Locke
Calgary, AB


NOW Letters to the Editor, March 25 - March 31, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home