One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Monday, October 25, 2004

Reality, illusion, and barkeeping

For those who may have read about my home bar, I didn't even mention how I made it...

Not able to afford the 'good stuff' to practice bartending with, I went and collected empty bottles from recycling bins at local bars in the dead of winter...brrr. Thirty-plus bottles later, a good scrub with soap, add water and food colouring, get a cheap shelf from Zellers, and presto - HOME BAR! :)

Backpacking has definitely helped me to become much more aware and resourceful. When one is truly without, one doesn't waste. Sometimes, I wouldn't even throw out used twist ties!

Unfortunately, I don't think I've let go of this 'roughing it' mentality. I am still without heat in my apartment so far this fall. (More later.) Honestly, the things I put up with, most people I know wouldn't even tolerate.

As for the bar...I've got lots of used books and some neat tools, but the bar itself is mostly illusion. Can't drink like I used to, so it's probably just as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home