One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Another marketing call

Another marketing call, below. Had other calls these past two weeks, but not worth posting. I'll explain the context and *timing* for other marketing calls when I get time.

It could very well be an innocent message - but the timing is odd: lots of maintenance going on in my building, I'm getting subtle signals to move out, and other stuff. Anyway, you've gotta hear this voice...

Sell your house

this is an audio post - click to play

The message itself means nothing. But issues of where I'll live this winter are kind of hanging in the air.

Besides the usual surveillance stuff, I'm getting subtle intimidation from the new-ish maintenance guy, who's conveniently moved into the building.

I've also had heating problems the past four winters, and I have arthritis.

Then, my landlord gave me notice of a rent increase, BUT it came earlier than usual - on a day where I was clearly being harassed (in July). And the effective date begins in December, instead of September, which is when my lease originally began. The past three rent increases all began in September.

There could be a logical explanation. Maybe they're streamlining everybody to a year-end date for rent increases? But somehow, I don't think so.

This may all sound petty, but you had to live in my building the past few years to appreciate how ridiculous the game-playing can be. Hearing other tenants have screaming matches with the landlord was a regular event. Things have changed, but this was the original context.

I still don't think my landlord is behind all this stuff. To have so many people call from various places (or have calls misdirected to my number) is an activity that requires resources and influence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home