One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Websites and helicopters

Sure, my personal rants and daily experiences are petty and mundane. But what's *amazing* is the constant bizarre problems I experience, their timing, and how they predictably do one of several things:

A) Frustrate me (and I become angry, emotional, or reactive);
B) Undermine my credibility;
C) Slow down my activities or progress.

I've been looking, first, for a new Internet provider, and second, for a possible webhost for the past two weeks. Also trying to find software to create a website/journal with. (Hard work for a non-techie; it's been over four months now.)

So what's happened in the past month?

I've had wrong number and fax or marketing calls aplenty.

Both my mother and I have had repeated problems connecting to the internet, sometimes for several days (her problems always occur when I stay over), plus we're getting some weird responses from technicians (info to come). Had to call Bell six times this week, alone.

Past few nights, I've had continual problems connecting with two websites, yet all others worked fine:

1) Potential webhost provider, whom I was emailing about web security;
2) OpenSourceCMS.com (allows people to test out various blog software).

So what? So...my urgent quest to get a website going is hampered by selective internet glitches. I wrote the webhost provider company: their logs show no problems. Yet I wasn't able to access their site for extended periods for two out of three nights. Doesn't make sense.

For the second website problem, I called Bell. Technician seemed incapable of spelling 'opensourceCMS.com,' and it took Valerie-with-the-Southern-belle-accent three attempts to get the address right.* She finally confirmed a webpage error.

(*Note: I've said before that the government likely has many 'moles' within Bell, plus Bell co-operates with the government in doing wiretaps, etc. My technical help calls could easily be forwarded to specific customer service reps; I've had several strange conversations. This has been happening with Bell since about December 2002.)

I emailed opensourceCMS.com to confirm whether their site's been having any problems; am awaiting a reply.



Had this error page several times since Wednesday.



Was able to access site with no problem in the past, so it can't be my computer's 'settings'.


I've also been having problems with MisterPrivacy.com, an anonymous surfing link, ever since I've been sending it to people. Wonder if anyone else is having this problem?

First day it happened, I couldn't access any websites, so...I called Bell. Problem resolved itself before the technician could help me. From that day forward, I've only had problems accessing MisterPrivacy.com, which is my default homepage, plus the two sites mentioned above.

Nothing conclusive here - just recording the facts.

Sounds inane and ridiculously nitpicky, but you'd have to experience it daily to understand why I don't think this stuff is coincidental. Sure, *shit happens*, but these are very specific incidents.

Here's another example from about two years ago:

Went to meet a friend, whom I hadn't seen in a long time. This person never believed my claims of surveillance -- even though we both know this other person, who had a job interview with the FBI. (See other post.)

Before going to my friend's, I went to three different places (eg, cyber cafe, etc). While speaking to the person behind the counter, at each place, the phone rang. I was filled with dread knowing it'd be a wrong number. I was right - all three times. (This scenario has happened many other times, as well.)

Yet the people answering the calls were clearly surprised; they obviously didn't get a lot of wrong number calls. Meanwhile, the caller would keep on asking for so-and-so. Not a quick, sorry, and hang-up call.

Later, at my friend's, the phone rang, just as I was leaving. I stared at it nervously. Sure enough, it was a wrong number. Then, I find out my friend and her family had been receiving similar calls every night, for the past three nights - ever since we arranged to get together. Plus, when they had first called me, I had asked, "Aren't you worried about the surveillance stuff?" They dismissed the idea completely.

For over two years, I discouraged people from phoning me to shield them from government scrutiny. Looking back, I can see how ridiculously naive I was.

[Edit: See movie National Treasure.]

===============================================

Have you seen helicopters in action?

In June, I had talked to someone about attending the Citizens' Inquiry into 9-11 conference (May 25-31, 2004). She mentioned police surveillance via helicopters in her own low-income area. Ever since that conversation, I've had helicopters flying by my window, or over my place. It's happened over 10 times.

Several times, one has flown from quite a distance straight towards my window. I can see and hear it coming for nearly two full minutes, from where I'm seated. These flyovers have always been at night. Every single one has coincided with my writing long messages about surveillance, either for this web journal or to email specific individuals -- eg, well-known activist, journalist, and so on.

The helicopters seem to have an extra light on. Maybe not a search light, but something hanging down with a light attached. Possibly a camera?

Why mention this? Two reasons: a) it just happened now, while writing this post, and b) about 2 hours ago, I was reading a post on Being Jennifer Garrett, and how she had a run-in with the cops.

So...? Well, a couple of months ago, I had emailed Jennifer Garrett, a popular blog writer, to ask how she had created her weblog (webjournal). She uses Angelfire.com, and I've been trying out Tripod.com (both are free webhosts under Lycos.com).

What's a weblog? Read here.

I figure the more people who know about my dilemma, the better. But after contacting Jennifer Garrett, I also wondered if she'd have any weird incidents.

(First year after the September 11th attacks in 2001, unpleasant things happened to various people, whom I discussed my surveillance situation with. They were often the only people who'd listen to me. One got beaten up, another got mercury poisoning, and so on. Coming out of a severe depression, lasting several years, I've become slightly more credible and coherent - yet the pattern of mishaps continues.)

So big deal, Jennifer Garrett gets a police warning, and I read about it tonight. I can't explain more, until other facts come to light. So I'll just say what I did next.

I ate my dinner, and two hours later, I start writing this blog entry. Lo and behold, a helicopter is flying fairly low towards my window. Gazing out, it's flying straight in line with my view for over a minute. A little intimidating.

Prior to June 2004, I do not recall seeing a helicopter before - EVER. Now I see or hear them regularly, flying low, lights on, loud and clear. And sometimes, several times in one night. Very strange.

(Please recall the recent police chief garfuffle.)

-----------
Notes to above:

The Citizens' Inquiry into 9-11 (May 25-31, 2004) was my first chance to publicly discuss concerns about how the 'War Against Terrorism' must logically impact Canada. I also mentioned my own experiences of surveillance, and passed out copies of articles I had begun collecting immediately after the September 11th attacks that questioned the official news stories. Although the conference wasn't well publicized and turn-out was low, the event was recorded for both radio and television.*

*Note: The overall turn-out was NOT the organizers' fault. *Coincidental* mix-ups on the part of PR companies meant that thousands of posters never got put up. Unfortunately, negotiations with U.S. filmmaker and activist Michael Moore also fell through, due to certain contractual stipulations. Moore would've been a major media draw, but his speaking fee was higher than the event organizers could realistically shoulder. I fully expected the poster oversight to happen, but I was too busy and stressed out to contact anyone, and I did not know whom to call. People have NO IDEA what's going on in Toronto - and why should they? Nevertheless, there's some serious shit going down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home