One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

And three more...

Yesterday and today, I had these calls:

1. Sept 21, 2:21pm - 'Unidentified' (no message)

2. Sept 21, 7:26pm - 'Unavailable' (beeping message below)

3. Sept 22, 11:03am - 416-236-3636, no name (no message)

The 6th beeping message in 13 days:

this is an audio post - click to play

Monday night, I noticed an electronic whirring sound by my computer. Then, last night, I came home and noticed the computer was a bit sluggish.

Heading to bed, I left it on for maintenance reasons. (I'm trying to learn basic computer care.) My screensaver makes a bubbling water noise, so I was also able to notice the volume had been turned down, yet I hadn't adjusted it lately.

I turned the volume back up, and went to sleep. This morning, I was already awake, when the phone rang, just once. (Too brief to even register.) Then, my alarm clock radio immediately came on.

(I was telling someone just yesterday how I used to get crank calls from unidentified callers the very moment I'd wake up in the morning. This began about three years ago and would happen every day for 1-2 weeks at a time. That's when I first started piecing together the anomalies, and suspected I was being surveilled.)

Being lazy, I stayed in bed. Fifteen minutes later, I received Call #3 above. I attempted to answer because it rang several times, but then, I realized it's not a number I recognize.

(In the past three years, I've gotten literally hundreds of strange calls.)

An hour later, my alarm clock stops, as usual. Literally, one second later, the bubbling water sound on my computer also stops. Strange. Exactly ten minutes later, it comes back on, and then the neighbour beneath me slams the door hard and bangs on a metal railing.

First, the screensaver hasn't done that before; no reason why it should. Secondly, I cannot begin to describe the constant noise harassment I get from the neighbour beneath me, which seems to be directed solely at me.

It goes far beyond what any person could possibly guess about another neighbour's doings. Like, if I go to the kitchen, this person will be right underneath me and cough -- a long, loud, exaggerated cough. Then I'll go to the washroom, this person will be there and start coughing, as well. It can happen at all hours of the day and night -- and this is only the mild stuff. Intense banging and dropping and slamming , plus playing loud eerie music repeatedly, has been going on weekly, sometimes daily, for nearly two years.

Other people have moved out because of the noise. Most have noticed that it seems to be directed at me, and often coincides with my activities (eg, when I leave, when I come home, etc). A more decent neighbour has suggested that this person's drug use and permanent unemployment make for meanness.

At one time, another neighbour was being harassed with deliberate noise from tenants beneath her. She strongly suspected the landlord had initiated this to get her to move out. Long story.

I have reason to believe my surveillers have co-opted these same techniques and are blackmailing my landlord into carrying them out. I won't even begin to tell you about my heating situation over the past four winters, particularly on the most bitterly cold days.

[For the record, I never met the neighbour beneath me till many months after she had moved in. I'm generally quiet in the home and, while I can be belligerent in certain situations, I'm a fairly decent neighbour. Part of why my landlord wanted me out was because he was afraid I'd organize a tenant group. I was given an eviction notice two months after moving in. I had also written a letter about the cockroach situation (building hadn't been treated for years till after I moved in). Later, I put up a poster for a community food program; this was deliberately torn down (pics to come). I should've known on the first day, when he said: '*Bleep* bodies are good for sex,' and all his buddies leered at me. One guy asked if he could come up to my place. har, har 'Bleep' meaning racial slur.]

Are low-income people oppressed, abused, and exploited?

In my 15 years as a renter, I was fortunate not to have known the hazards of a terrible landlord. Nor did I fully know how powerless low-income people are, until my current living situation.

Sure, I've lived in India and travelled in developing countries, been a starving student, and so on. But living under a vindictive landlord's thumb is hell. Management has since changed hands (sort of), and various improvements have been made, yet the focused harassment I personally experience continues.

I'm not making claims about voodoo or ghosts. But I do have targeted harassment and constant weird incidents going on. These have gotten more frequent, more serious, and more threatening -- plus, they happen at very specific times. Usually on, or just after, days I've been outspoken about surveillance. This has consistently been the case for well over a year. If I made a chart, people'd see how close the timing is, and how persistent the problems are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home