One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto

Sunday, August 08, 2004

I'm like a magnet for activity

As I've said before, I believe my internet activities are closely monitored, and my emails are being tampered with. Some of my email accounts have also been mysteriously altered (eg, totally new colours in my 4-year old Yahoo account), emails aren't showing up -- sometimes at recipient's end, and definitely at my end - and so on.

Just after participating in the Citizens' Inquiry into 9/11 in late May of this year, I sent an email to 20 newspapers across Canada - most of them bounced back to me. Some even arrived in my box 10 days later. Is this possible, or even likely?

Last night and tonight, I was looking at various website and weblog tools to get going with my OneAdventure website.

Around 3:00am last night, I set up a new blog account on Blogdrive.com. As you can see, there's nothing on this new blog except for two measly test posts -- just a couple of jumbled letters I typed in. Then, I tried out the tagboard for the fun of it. Two minutes later, somebody responds:
'BrokenChaos: yep it's all working'

Hmm, okay. Someone was bored, noticed I started a new weblog, clicked onto it, watched my first clumsy attempts at testing out different features ('yep it's all working'). Uh, I'd say that was a little predatory. But what do I know? People tell me all the time I'm 'delusional.'

So, that was last night. Then, tonight, at about 11:35 PM, I posted a comment on this blog I found: Vampire Coast. A great-looking blog. I wondered how the author had made it. So I had the comment page and blog site on my screen for awhile, as I tried to figure it out (this web stuff takes me a loooong time to understand, even when some of the 'web tools' are designed for total beginners!).

About 1:00am, I clicked off, but went back 20 minutes later to let the author know I'd figured out what to do. When I came back to Vampire Coast, I saw a new comment had been added after mine; I was surprised. Having someone closely follow-up my web activities two nights in a row is creepy.

Maybe it's just happenstance, but here's what I find strange:

1. Commenting on somebody else's blog is not common. Although the feature exists, comments are the exception, rather than the rule - even for popular blogs.

- The Vampire Coast blog is new, so there's no track history to gauge whether what I'm saying is true or not. (Click on 'Post your comments,' under the picture, to see the comments.)


2. Second commenter's remarks seem to subtly refer to, and directly contradict, my own.

- Tone and approach both sound like my other weird encounters. My politics vs. theirs. My credibility vs. theirs. This is also why most people don't believe me. People often say: 'Who would bother?" "A surveiller (ie, the government) doesn't have the time or resources to play silly games like that." Etc, etc. Well, I don't think it's just the government doing this stuff.

3. Their remark, 'I hope that's okay,' is odd. Most folks want to link sites -- it's a given. His tone also does not suit a 'Nefarious DM' (dungeon master) -- and judging from The Nefarious DM's site, this person hardly seems deferential or insecure. Yet, it's exactly the kind of self-deprecating question I myself would ask. Just last week, someone suggested I needn't apologize for expressing a point of view.

Yes, the post could be coincidental. But. . . check out the NDM site, and in particular, read this page. I'm sorry, but the word sinister and pathological don't even do this stuff justice.

[Edit: The Nefarious DM page in question has been totally altered.]

Also, here's what one might do to avoid suspicion, and make me seem like a totally paranoid nutcase:

a) Many comments may be added to the Vampire Coast weblog, over time.

b) The Nefarious DM may change his site address (easily done in Tripod.com), so the site is no longer available.**

The above two incidents are pretty petty. But when it happens constantly, it's unnerving.

Believe me, I've had far more threatening incidents. Example: two people intentionally hit me on the head in the past year; one time it happened while I was sobbing into a payphone on the evening of my uncle's funeral.

Being harassed by internet and email may be hard to conceive, so please also check out my phone messages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home